Larger than a parer and smaller than a cook’s knife, this versatile 4-1/2-inch utility knife is the ideal size for cutting avocadoes, cheese, and apples, making it a great picnic accessory. Wusthof’s Grand Prix2 knives differ slightly from the original Grand Prix line in that they feature a redesigned handle with more ergonomic curve and a squared-off end. Contemporary in look, the pebble-grain synthetic handle is molded over an extended tang for a sure, comfortable grip. Because there is less steel in the tang, a Grand Prix2 knife offers slightly less heft than its Classic counterpart, yet more than the trim Le Cordon Bleu. All are beautifully balanced.
Like all Grand Prix and Classic knives, the utility knife is precision forged from a single piece of high-carbon, stain-resistant steel. The blade has been impeccably ground, tapered, and polished, and its edge laser-tested for uniformity. After repeated use, the edge may be easily resharpened using a sharpening steel. Though the knife is dishwasher-safe, Wusthof recommends hand-washing all fine cutlery. Made in Germany, the knife is fully guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and/or craftsmanship. –Ann Bieri
- 4-1/2-inch Grand Prix2 utility knife adds versatility to the kitchen
- Precision forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Contemporary molded pebble-grain handle provides nonslip comfort
- Trimmed bolster, extended tang; extra-fine blade easily resharpens
- Dishwasher-safe; made in Germany; lifetime warranty